Friday 16 April 2010

selling out never looked so easy

So I used a link in my last post that sent you to amazon.com, becasue I thought that the cover art of the snorks vhs was just wicked.  While I stand by it, I noticed today when I logged into my blog account that there was a banner ad from amazon telling me that I could earn money by adding more amazon links into my blog. gasp. Now I'm not one to say that free-market capitalism is ruining the internet, or even that it's what I was just offered......well, yeah I think I can safely say that it was (latter) and it is (former) or perhaps that it could.  I remember reading about some sort of system that allowed members to earn points by using ad space as an incentive.  Posting ads would earn you points that you could use to buy, in turn, your own ad space on other sites.  While that seemed like a pyramid scheme just waiting for a sucker to come in and use real money, it seems to work for people.  It also has the benefit of being right out there for everyone to see.  
wow, this has actually run on a fair amount. apologies.
Anyhow, the insidiousness of taking amazon's money in return for linkage makes me want to take a shower.  Let it be known that I will try to avoid linking back to them again, and ebay and other similar sites I suppose.
I leave you with the thought that the internet will soon grow to be a huge pyramid scheme.

No comments:

Post a Comment