Thursday 22 April 2010

blue is the new green

Happy earth day!  In the spirit of all things tree-hugging, I'm going to spend a few minutes rambling on about a few of the more pop-cultury (I am my own dictionary) moments from my earth day past.  First off, those images of earth from space have been classic ever since the first of them came back in the 40's.  It was the alpha and omega of the p.r. campaign to save the earth.  That was back when all we had to do to save the earth was recycle our newspapers and bottles/cans.  That and stop those evil loggers from destroying the rainforest.  Now, of course, we're just f*<%#d whatever we do.

My earliest earth day commercial was a coca-cola ad naturally.  All the problems in our world could be solved if everyone just got into one big hand-holding circle and sang it out.  That advertisement, coming as it so often did during the tv showing of 'the sound of music', just served to reinforce the point that you should never sing along with the television.  A point my farther made through example.  Typical scene from my childhood living room:

Dad: 'The hills are alive..'

chorus (the rest of the fam): 'no dad! stop it!  arrggghhh my ears are bleeding!'

that last one may have been an exageration.

My other great memory from saving the earth is when somebody got ben & jerry's to sponsor a litter clean-up in a national forest picnic area.  Ice cream and nature are a very good combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment